Granby Memorial Middle School Families,
After what has been a very challenging period of time since we left school last March, we are now ready to return to interscholastic athletics. While we are all aware that all plans for the upcoming school year are fluid and subject to change, I wanted to provide you with some important and timely information as we start Fall Sports on Thursday, September 10.
- Understand that this year will look much different than past athletic seasons. Our primary focus is on health & safety while acclimating our student-athletes back to their respective sports.
- The CIAC has instituted a thorough conditioning/reconditioning component to the Fall 2020 season. We will be mirroring the high school plan as closely as possible. Field Hockey and Cross Country will start with only 60 minutes of exertion activities during the first part of the season and this will increase over time.
- First practices will be held on Thursday immediately after school. Coaches will send out more specific information to students and families
- Students are required to wear a mask to and from practice. Masks can be removed during outdoor exertion activity once they are in their cohorts.
- Students should come to practices/tryouts dressed ready to participate. Locker rooms will be available for those who need to store their equipment. When school is in session, students who are “remote learning” should plan on dressing for practice at home. Students needing to change at school should practice all social distancing guidelines. We understand students may not have transportation to the school on days their cohort is scheduled for remote learning.
- Students must bring their own water bottles/jugs, filled, to practice/tryouts. Water will be available for those who run out and need to fill their individual bottle/jug. THERE WILL BE NO SHARING OF WATER BOTTLES. It is also recommended to bring a personal towel, hand sanitizer, and a spare mask.
- Coach contact information can be found here:
- Finally, the CIAC has mandated that all schools require students to complete a personal screening of COVID-19 symptoms prior to participating each day. Any student who has experienced these symptoms, traveled to a state on the State of Connecticut’s Travel Ban, or has been in contact within the past 72 hours with a person who has tested positive for COVID-19 must stay home. A copy of the questions that will be asked to each student prior to each practice can be found here: HTTPS://DOCS.GOOGLE.COM/
DOCUMENT/D/1V8F2I_9Y- SF5QYJQX6MIMQDVWN_G_DJP_ KC4M9SOKGS/EDIT?USP=SHARING
I understand a lot of restrictions and precautions have been put in place by the CIAC and the Granby Public Schools. They exist, however, in an effort to reduce and mitigate the spread of the COVID-19 virus. I am confident that if all of our student-athletes follow the protocols we can enjoy this modified season and continue to represent the school with class & pride.
We will communicate additional information pertaining to athletics as we receive it. In the meantime let’s have a great first day of Fall sports and a great year. Stay safe and healthy.
Granby Memorial Middle School