STEP 1: Write down your broad topic idea.
STEP 2: Try some preliminary searches on your topic. Search the web, databases, maybe even Amazon for recently published books on your topic.
STEP 3: What are some issues or trends regarding your topic that you notice in your searches?
Concept 1: __________________________________________________________
Concept 2: __________________________________________________________
Concept 3: __________________________________________________________
Some research question starters that may be helpful to you:
- What causes _______________________________ ?
- What are the effects of _______________________________ ?
- Why should we adopt ______________ as a solution to _______________ ?
- What is the best solution to __________________ ?
- What should be done about ______________________________ ?
- How can we find common ground about _________________________ ?
Questions by Discipline
|Humanities||Interpretive questions about literature, music, and the arts||How are women portrayed in Shakespeare? How has rap music had an influence on social protest movements?|
|Social Sciences||Questions about factors that affect human behavior, including “how” and “why” questions||How is targeted advertising negatively affecting social media users? How do socioeconomic factors affect obesity rates?|
|Sciences||“How” and “why” questions about the natural world, including both the environment and living beings||What are the preventable causes of climate change? What are the effects of competitive sports on teenage girls?|